26th Virginia Cavalry
26th Cavalry Regiment was formed in December, 1864, by consolidating the 46th and 47th Battalions Virginia Cavalry. The unit served in W.L. Jackson’s Brigade and was active in various conflicts in the Shenandoah Valley. It disbanded during the spring of 1865. Lieutenant Colonel Joseph K. Kesler and Major Henry D. Ruffner were in command.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
26th Virginia Cavalry, Virginia Regimental History Series, by Richard L. Armstrong, H.E. Howard Publishing.