37th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
37th Cavalry Battalion was organized in August, 1862, as Dunn’s Partisan Rangers. The battalion contained four companies and in November was changed to regular cavalry. It was assigned to W.E. Jones’, McCausland’s and W.L. Jackson’s Brigade. During April, 1864, it totalled 300 effectives and by June had increased its strength to ten companies. It was involved in various operations in western Virginia and East Tennessee, then saw action in the Shenandoah Valley. The unit disbanded in mid-April, 1865. Lieutenant Colonel Ambrose C. Dunn and Major J.R. Claiborne were in command.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
36th and 37th Battalions Virginia Cavalry, Virginia Regimental History Series, by J.L. Scott, H.E. Howard Publishing.