6th Virginia Cavalry
6th Cavalry Regiment completed its organization in November, 1861, at Manassas, Virginia. Men of this unit were raised in Loudoun, Rappahannock, Clarke, Rockingham, Pittsylvania, Fairfax, Halifax, Fauquier, and Orange counties. The unit served in Robertson’s, W.E. Jones’, Lomax’s, and Payne’s Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It fought in Jackson’s Valley Campaign and in the conflicts at Second Manassas, Brandy Station, Upperville, Fairfield, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Todd’s Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw’s Shop, and Cold Harbor. The regiment went on to take part in Early’s Shenandoah Valley operations and the Appomattox Campaign. Only 3 men surrendered on April 9, 1865, as most of the cavalry cut through the Federal lines and later disbanded. The field officers were Colonels Charles W. Field, Thomas S. Flourney, John S. Green, and Julien Harrison; Lieutenant Colonels J. Grattan Cabell and Daniel T. Richards; and Majors Cabell E. Flournoy and Daniel A. Grimsley.
[Source: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System]
6th Virginia Cavalry, Virginia Regimental History Series, by Michael P. Musick, H.E. Howard Publishing, 1990.